For some years now, the reputation of Costa Rica as a destination for medical tourism has grown a lot. The country offers many excellent conditions for those foreigners who want to have some medical procedure performed here. Among the advantages is the availability of bilingual medical personnel at private clinics. Another aspect is the quality of medical training in the country. Costa Rican universities offer excellent training in all medical areas, besides, many graduates travel to other countries, including the US, for their specialization.
The country's tourist and medical infrastructure is also an asset. There are many hotels and special lodging options for people who undergo a medical procedure. Also, a major attraction for foreigners is the costs. Compared to the US and other countries, the costs of medical procedures in Costa Rica is a lot more inexpensive.
For exampe, InfoCostaRica published the following data: Procedures routinely offered by plastic surgeons in Costa Rica include total and partial face-lifts or reconstruction; tummy tucks; breast reduction, augmentation and reconstruction; liposuction and liposculpture. Prices however, are generally 50% lower than in North America. For example, facial cosmetic surgery (face lift), one of the most commonly performed procedures in the country, can cost from $6,000 to $12,000 in the United States. Comparable surgery in Costa Rica will cost between $3,000 and $4,000 including clinic stay, medicines, nursing care and the surgery. A visitor seeking dental work from simple fillings to surgical implants and periodontics can also anticipate large savings without compromising quality of care. In Costa Rica, dental implants cost between $750 - $850 per implant, compared to twice that in the U.S. While laboratory work in Costa Rica is much less expensive than in the United States, all materials are FDA approved and imported from the United States.
There is also a variety of procedures to choose from:
- Cosmetic and restorative dentistry: Services range from porcelain crowns and veneers to orthodontics and bleaching. We recommend Clinica de Especialidades Dentales (see their add in this section).
- Plastic and cosmetic surgery: The full range of cosmetic and reconstructive surgery is offered in several modern clinics. With the recent addition of laser technology the ability of local plastic and cosmetic surgeons to provide world-class services has been enhanced. Procedures routinely offered by plastic surgeons in Costa Rica include total and partial face lifts or reconstruction; tummy tucks; breast reduction, augmentation and reconstruction; liposuction; liposculpture; electrolysis for the permanent depilation of unwanted hair; removal of acne scars and other skin irregularities; and many other procedures. (More information on www.cocori.com.
- Ophthalmology procedures:Services include treatment of astigmatism, retinal detachment, glaucoma and cataracts.
Some sites you can visit for futher information are:
- Plastic surgeons of Costa Rica: www.costarica-surgeons.com. To find lists of surgeons.
- Dental Retreat in Costa Rica: www.edenia.com/medical/anfuba.htm.
- Hospital CIMA San José: www.hospitalcima.com.